1. Meta Title - the Most Important for SEO HTML Tag
The meta title HTML tag is visible in search results on every search engine. It is the first thing the search robots and people see. It's normally short sentence, that explains the whole web page content. It is placed in the header of the document. Optimizing this tag is not that easy as it seems.
The major rules you must follow when optimizing meta title tag are:
- keyword rich and well structured. Let say you are selling pants in your online store. Consider these 2 titles: A."We are selling pants" and B."Online store for pants with each color and size". Which one is good for SEO? First if you search for red pants XXL size and see both titles in search result is more possible to click on B., because you are not sure that in A. have these sizes and color. Second B. cover much more long tail keywords around pants, like "pants size", "pants color", "Pants shop", "Online store for .... ". More searcher friendly and keyword rich titles guarantee will help to rank your site higher in the search engines.
- length. The visible length of title tag in search results is 600 pixels, which is about 60 english characters. If the title is longer than 600px, the major search engines cutting it when display it. When the whole title is visible in search results, it becomes more user friendly. My experience shows, that little longer title do not affect in the ranking, but on the Click-Through Rate (CTR) .
- always use the most important keyword on the beginning on the meta title. Most of the languages and search engines are reading the text from left to right. This rule passing for each text in the HTML tags.
- capitalize characters
Following these rules B. will become something like: "Pants Shop - All Colors and Sizes on Best Price".
When you use SEOFlat Software, you will have clear idea on which words to use and how to structure the title tag.
2. Inbound (interlinking) and outbound (links to remote, relevant, authority sites) links inside the page and their anchor text.
Now I will try to explain why this HTML tags are so important for on-page SEO.
2.1. Inbound links. Nowdays the correct interlinking is one of the must in the to do lists. It helps users' navigation, and tells search engines for what the site is about. It also makes site's pages to get crawled and indexed faster (see how Wikipedia is interlinked). In case you are in e-commerce I will recommend to split the products on e.g. color – black pants, white pants... My experience shows, that more products the shop have, higher ranking it gets.
There have a lot different interlinking tactics. Maybe most popular last few years is SILO, where few pages “pushing up” a desired page, that needs to rank higher in search engines.
2.2. Outbound links. Most of us already using them without paying attention. Almost every site have Facebook and Twitter page linked inside own site. Such links are authority, informative and relevant to the site, because they are linking to profile which is about the site. They do not steal, but gives authority and weight to sites' pages, but I still prefer to add unfollow rel attribute on them. Unfollow tells search engines to not move and crawl the hyperlinks when the bot moves around and instead this to crawl other pages from the site. I strongly recommend to use keyword rich text as anchor or keyword rich alt text (late on this) in case they are hyperlinked to image.
3. Image alt text and image title HTML Tags
Optimizing images is one of the first thing you must consider when creating a web page, because such kind of content going more and more popular – sometime single image can explain the whole page content. There have a lot of rules you must follow when optimizing an images, like keyword rich file name, title and alt text, image size, image frames, caption, and even image text, but in this article I will write about two of them – the image alt text and image title.
For the search engines, the image alt text is considered mainly as navigation. Alt comes from alternative and this text appear only when an image is broken or refuse to load by some reason. Some search engines like Google prefer all images in the page to have alt text, because it guarantee the visitor will understand the content. But this HTML tag also helping for optimization, because the bots reads its content as text together with image title. The both alt text and title also helps for image optimization itself and sometime images appear direct on search results.
Image title is relative to
page title. It explains for what the images is about and is visible
by visitor on mouse over it.
4. H1 headers
Very regular this tag is used on the top of the web pages. It is similar to meta title tag and very regular the web pages using same sentence for the both. It is big strong text, which is one of the first thing visitors see. Because this reasons it is one of the important HTML tag also for SEO. Search engines loves when people are well informed.
5. Emphasized text.
It is bold (strong), italic, underlined or colored text. Most of the visitors reading it before the rest of the content (between the rows) to understand in short for what the article is about. It helps for the navigation and search engines giving it SEO weight.
6. H2 - H6 Headers
Similar to H1 and emphasized text, they are helping for readability and for the navigation.
7. Meta description for SEO
It is not included in SEOFlat report, because SEOFlat is made mainly for Google. It is short description about the webpage which is not actually visible direct for the visitors. Many search engines still reading the meta description and showing it direct in the search results, but instead this Google shows most relevant to the search query sentences from the webpage. Me personally prefer to use this tag, but writing it is optional and time consuming.